Wee Bags - Embellishment Practice


Æsa, Baroness of Vulkanfeldt in the Kingdom of An Tir, hosted a Largess Competition at Vulkanfeldt Yule Feast this winter. She called it the Sleigh Bell Six.
 
Baron Rurik and Baroness Æsa 

I had never made largess before, because I could never quite figure out what to make that people would like to receive. I really wanted to support the largess idea at this event. 

I decided to look on Pinterest using the keyword "Largess" and Oh My Gosh! So many fun and beautiful things to look at. I copied a bunch of the cool ones to my computer and looked through them over and over for a few days trying to decide what to do.

I don't remember exactly when and why I decided to make Byzantine Embellished Alms Bags, but that is where I went with the making Largess thing. I then spent some time looking up period examples of these bags and of byzantine embellishment, to get a basic idea of the appropriate look.

My first Bag turned out to be a bit religious, Rus' Orthodox I guess and I decided that it was not an Alms Bag but rather a Reliquary Bag. I didn't pre-engineer the making and so I didn't exactly know how the thing would go together. It was trial and error. This one is still not finished, because I need to sew tiny eyelets in it yet - for the drawstrings.

Bag #1 - Front
  
I embellished both the front and back with metal bits and pearls. The bag was completely hand sewn, meaning that after it was embellished, I put the lining on by hand. Really fussy and I did not have an awl to make the eyelet holes, nor am I practiced at making eyelets. I was not confident this one could be given out after I punched holes in it.

I did a bit more more research, meaning I looked at a bunch of pictures on-line. I found that some of the period Alms Bags had pockets for the drawstrings. 

Early 10th Century Byzantine Reliquary Bag


My next try at making a bag included a pocket and I sewed the lining on with a machine, because that part is hidden and can't really be detected. On this bag, I just added Rivets and Red French Knots. I also tried out various materials for the hanging strap and drawstrings (Yellow shoelaces). The red beads are wood and I am not fond of them. I had nothing metal with holes big enough to work. Still trying to get the methods down.

Bag #2 - Front

Bag three was easier. With this one, I used red cotton crochet thread that I braided for the hanging strap and drawstrings. Finding beads in my kit that worked on the drawstrings nearly drove me mad. 

Bag #3 - Front

Also on this bag (and it was the only one made this way), I used different fabrics for the front and for the back. Mostly various rivets and some red French Knots.
Bag #3 - Front and Back

___________________________________


By the fourth bag, I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Bag #4 - Front and Back

Again, this one turns out to be a bit too religious, but I LOVE IT. This is the one that I end up not being able to give away. It is now part of my garb. I used a lot of different metal bits and pearls. I also dug through my stuff and found a bit of silky cord to braid for the hanging strap. I used the cord as-is for the drawstrings. 

Bag #4 - Front
_________________________________________

Now, the Largess Competition called for 6 items and by this point, I had made four with only two ready to gift. These were taking me about a day and a half to make (maybe 8 to 12 hours). Also, I'm out of appropriate cord/string. I'm getting a little frantic. 

With Bag five, I again used crochet string for the hanging strap and drawstrings. I tried some new things on this one. Not loving it, but its okay. A little metal, a lot of french knots. I made the tassels on this one with the same crochet cord. They do not hang nicely. I definitely need other cord.

Bag #5 - Front

We stopped at Jo-Anns on a trip to Moses Lake and I found some silky cord. YAY! It's so pretty. I thought about making cord on my lucet - but since I am not practiced I decided it would take too long. The silky cord will do for now.

On Bag six, I tried out using some really big metal elements. Personally, I think the smaller elements work better. I do love the silky cord. I braided it for the hanging strap and used it as-is for the drawstrings. I am still having issues with finding beads for the drawstrings. These were really difficult to get on the string, but they need to be there for the string to hang attractively.

Bag #6 - Front

_______________________________________

OMGosh! I just love bag number seven. I think it is my favorite. This fabric is perfect for showing off gold bits and pearls. Maybe you can tell by now, that I really like diagonal patterned fabric for these. Many if the extant bags have diagonal patterns on them. 

This is the first time that I have ever outlined an element in pearls. I've laid it out before, and thought about doing it, but I never really liked the way it looked. It just so happens that these pearls were exactly the right size. 

The round red topped gems are actually snap heads. I don't really like them, but I have not made any mounted gems yet and frankly, they are impossible to find to purchase. A lot of rivets on this bag, but fairly balanced with the sewn-on objects.

Bag #7 - Front


Bag #7 - Front and Back

For the last bag, I went back to my second favorite fabric. No sewing embellishment on this one. All the metal bits are rivets.

Bag #8 - Front and Back
_____________________________________________

Now I have Six giftable Bags. The last thing that needs to happen before the competition is Presentation. I'm a bit of a Presentation fanatic. It is one of the things that I love do the most when entering a competition. 

I knew there would be a table made available to us. I have bifocals, and I don't like to bend over to see the details on things when they are displayed on a table top.  Over a couple of days, I tried out a number of different options that would bring the pieces up and closer to viewing. Here is what I eventually came up with.

Presentation

I used a simple camp stool that I had converted with leather. It is an old Sears version of the stool and has a nice fold-up back. I hung a brown scarf over the back. I had really wanted to show how the bags were hung on a belt and this worked much better than the stick and easel I had first tried out.

There was no requirement for documentation for this competition, but I wanted to show something. I made a very simple folded pamphlet out of card weight paper. It has the title of the work and my name on the front. The Inside held this image.



__________________________________________________

There were some fabulous entries in the Competition. Amazing things that people made.

I won, but truthfully, I think that it was the presentation and the simple documentation that gave me the edge.

In a largess competition, everyone enters a group of "like" things. In this instance, Six like things - although we most often hear of the "Dirty Dozen" competitions. The winner gets to take home one of each of the things entered. I did not really know these particulars. I had expected to be just giving. 

As the winner, I decided that my winnings would stay with the Baroness for her use. I did take home my favorite bag #7, but gifted it to the outgoing Baroness of Wastekeep as she had commented how it would go with a certain outfit that she liked to wear.  
_____________________________________________

While I was making the bags, I was posting my progress on Facebook. A number of people commented about their interest in learning to make the bags.

Making the bags is a two fold thing. The first, is bag construction and the second, is Byzantine Embellishment. When I got home from the competition, I began work on a PowerPoint Presentation for Bag Construction. 

The only way I could figure out to make it available on-line was to post it as a document to a Facebook Group. It is currently available in the Inland's Regional Arts and Sciences FB Group under Documents. 

In my next post about the Wee Bags, I plan to convert the instructions to Blog format.


Comments