Making Models from Various Designs

This is the best image that I have of the Log Chains. Described by one Archaeologist as "Zoomorphic" - as in - a two headed worm shape, I really should start calling them the "Worm Chains". 

From the Seventeenth Ryazan Hoard - Found in 2013
Rus - XII - first quarter of the XIII century


Basically, the design is something like this.


design sketch

________________________________________________

I created one model for testing. This is the way that it looks in fresh polymer clay. Of course, I had to choose the ugliest color of clay available (what was I thinking).


Model - Fresh

The model has a tiny piece of fuzz in the middle that I can't get out. We will see how badly it effects the model after cooking.


_____________________________________________

Here it is, all baked and hardened. I used a 275° F oven and baked it for about 1 1/2 hours. See the indentation in the middle? Did I do that with my tool when I was trying to get the fuzz out, or did the fuzz do that when the model was cooked? Some shrinking thing or something? I'm not totally sure, but I think I did it with the tool. There is also an indentation in the upper left area that I don't like. I'm going to practice a bit.

Model - Hardened


There are quite a few slightly different sets of these Zoomorphic worm chains. The photos I am making these sketches from are not great, but I've tried to pick out the designs. Some of the elements have rounded ends and some are more blunt.


Element Designs


I also just found this really beautiful picture - I don't know if this is a reproduction or the real thing


and bigger


_____________________________________________

(I will add photos to this next part a little later - once I get some "GRAY" polymer clay)


Here are the steps I am going through to make the model:
First, I roll out a little worm shape just using my hands. I form the ends how I want their shape to be.


Next, I slice the worm in half as close to middle as I can get.



Then, I cut about a 4 inch piece of brass wire and impressed the straight lines. 


After that, I made a curve in the end of the wire and bent it at a 90° angle. 


I used this curve to impress the partial circles of the worms eyes. 


Last, I bent the other end of the wire into a really small "L" shape and impressed it into the eye centers.


I wanted to post this now, before I got all the pictures ready, because I found a photo on-line - http://historicaldis.ru/blog/43894071142/Novyie-nahodki-Staroy-Ryazani - of an actual Jeweler's model. The archaeologist is calling it a matrix. This has to be the most exciting thing about this whole research excursion. 
Jeweler's Treasures - buried prior to invasion of Ryazan by Batu Khan in 1237
Ryazan Hoard #17 - found in 2013

Zoomorphic "Worm" Jewelry Element Matrix

I'm learning a little bit more about these every day and soon, I hope to be reproducing them. Waiting on mold making materials and Hydraulic Press parts.


Comments